September Programs at Freshkills Park
Celebrate the end of summer and the beginning of autumn with Freshkills Park. Join us for nature walks, kayak tours, community science days, and more. Advance registration required.
Field trip registration is open! Bring your class or community group to visit Freshkills Park. Sign up here.
Volunteer Landscaping @ Schmul Park
Weeds are invading Freshkills Park! Join the Freshkills Park Alliance and NYC Parks Department for a volunteer day at Schmul Park and discover ways to get creative in our green spaces and support the bees.
Saturday, August 27, 9:00 – 12:00
Register (Ages 6+)
Community Science Wednesdays
Take action to protect the grasslands at Freshkills Park! Join a group of volunteers every other Wednesday to learn to identify and collect data on invasive spotted lanternflies.Wednesday, August 31, 9:00 – 11:00
Register (Ages 6+) Wednesday, September 14, 10:00 – 12:30 Register (Ages 6+)
Fall Sunset Walk
Celebrate the arrival of autumn with all the magic of pink skies and sun-tinged grasses. Bring your friends, sweeties, and family members for a sunset nature walk at Freshkills Park!
Thursday, September 22, 5:00 – 7:30 PM
Register (Ages 6+)
Volunteer Landscaping @ Freshkills Studio
Join the Freshkills Park Alliance and NYC Parks for a volunteer day at our Studio + Gallery off the New Springville Greenway and discover ways to support our open and natural areas.
Friday, September 30, 10:00 – 12:00
Register (Ages 16+)
s=”m_4996915111621722738mcnTextContent” valign=”top” width=”564″>
- Nature Walk: A 1-mile guided walk introducing students to wetland and grassland ecosystems and landfill infrastructure. Students will complete a scavenger hunt to learn about different plants and animals in the Park.
- Service Projects: Get your hands dirty and give back to the community with a volunteer project.
- Community Science (Middle and High School only): Students participate in a community science project by collecting and analyzing data about plants or insects at Freshkills Park.
- Virtual Field Trips: Zoom with Freshkills Park staff for a behind-the-scenes view of the landfill-to-park transformation.
- Custom Tours: Speak to a Freshkills Park Educator to design a program that works for your class!
The Freshkills Park Alliance works in partnership with the City of New York to transform the former Fresh Kills Landfill into Freshkills Park, which will be the largest public park built in New York City in more than a century. The nonprofit serves as the park’s primary advocate, championing its completion, and increasing public access and engagement alongside government, civic and community stakeholders. With a focus on sustainability and environmental reclamation, the Alliance continuously works to make the park a destination for all.
Freshkills Park is an extraordinary 2,200 acre urban park that is a model for
sustainable land reclamation, a source of pride for Staten Island and New York City,
and a gift of open space for generations to come. Its landscape and amenities will be
welcoming to all communities and an inspiration to artists, scientists, designers and
planners around the world.