2019 Healthy and Fit: Free and Low Cost Health & Fitness Programs on Staten Island NYC
Fitness for less: Low-cost ways to shape up
If the only thing keeping you from starting a fitness program is the cost of a gym membership, here’s good news. You don’t need to join a gym to take physical activity seriously. Plenty of low-cost alternatives can help you get fit without breaking your budget. These tips can help you get started.
Take advantage of everyday opportunities
You don’t need a gym or special equipment for an aerobic workout. With a little foresight, activities you may take for granted can become part of your fitness routine.
- Step it up. Take a brisk walk every day, whether it’s in your neighborhood or a local mall. Take the stairs instead of the elevator or make a full workout of climbing the stairs. Sneak in extra steps whenever you can by parking farther away from your destination.
- Make housework a workout. Mow the lawn, weed the garden, rake the leaves or shovel the snow. Even indoor activities such as vacuuming and scrubbing count as a workout if you increase your heart rate.
- Play with your kids. If you have children, don’t just watch them play. Join them for a game of tag or kickball. Walk them to the park. Dance. Take a family bike ride. Go to a community pool. Even if you don’t swim, you can enjoy time in the water or walk in the shallow end. Do your kids play video games? If so, plug in with them and swing a virtual tennis racket or do a little boxing.
Improvise by using household items or your body weight
If you’d rather not spend a penny on exercise equipment, use ordinary household items or your body weight for various upper and lower body exercises:
- Canned goods. Many canned goods can serve double duty as hand weights.
- Chair or step stool. Use a chair for support when doing exercises such as leg curls. A low, sturdy step stool can become exercise equipment if you use it for step training — an aerobic exercise resembling stair climbing.
- Use your body. You don’t need to go to the gym and lift weights to increase your muscular fitness. Use your body weight to do weight training exercises and resistance training.
One thought on “2019 Healthy and Fit: Free and Low Cost Health & Fitness Programs on Staten Island NYC”
You can certainly see your skills in the article you write.
The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who are
not afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart.
Comments are closed.