Work with NYC DCAS Civil Service Information. The NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) makes city government work for all New Yorkers. Our commitment to equity, effectiveness and sustainability guides our work providing City agencies with the resources and support needed to succeed, including:
- Recruiting, hiring, and training City employees
- Managing 55 public buildings
- Acquiring, selling, and leasing City property
- Purchasing over $1 billion in goods and services for City agencies
- Overseeing the greenest municipal vehicle fleet in the country
- Leading the City’s efforts to reduce carbon emissions from government operations
What is Civil Service?
Civil service with the City of New York is all about serving your community and your city in your chosen profession. There are a wealth of career opportunities, a clear path for growth, and great benefits. Over 80% of civil service positions in the City are called “competitive class.” These jobs require you to take an exam to qualify. However, if you have a disability and are a possible candidate for a competitive class job, you may not be required to take an exam. You can learn more about exceptions for people with disabilities on the 55-a Program page.
How You Can Apply for and Take an Exam
Taking an exam is a multi-step process, but once you complete it and pass, you become eligible to work with the City of New York. You can apply for an exam on any computer with internet access or at one of our testing centers in each of the five boroughs.
Review the list of upcoming exams and apply for the exams you want to take on the Online Application System (OASys) or at testing centers. You will have to meet basic criteria and pay a fee to qualify.
Which Exam is Right for You?
Following are the different types of exams we offer:
- Open-competitive exams are available to anyone who meets the minimum qualifications
- Promotion exams are available only to permanent or 55-a City employees who are seeking a promotion within their career track
- Qualified-incumbent exams are available to those who already work for the City as a provisional employee in certain job titles, after two or more years of service
How Can You Find Upcoming Exams?
Find out about all of the upcoming civil service exams. You can subscribe to our mailing list and select “City Jobs and Civil Service Announcements” to receive announcements for upcoming exams. The exam schedule is available in Alpha Order and Application Period Order. Our exam schedule is posted every July, lists all our upcoming exams, and is updated every month.
Note you will need to apply for and pay a fee, or obtain a fee waiver, and meet the minimum requirements to qualify to take the exams listed. You can also see the most recent updates in the monthly exam applications schedule, or view the tables on this page. Note that some exams may be canceled or postponed, so check the schedule regularly if you plan to apply for or take an exam.
- DCAS Computer-based Testing and Application Centers (CTACs) have re-opened to the public. However, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, walk-ins are no longer accepted and appointments must be scheduled online through OASys for eligible lists or examination-related inquiries.
- As of March 1, 2021, all examination and eligible list-related notifications will be sent by email only, you will no longer receive notifications via the US mail.
- As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
- The CTACs are open Monday through Friday, 9am – 5pm, excluding City holidays.
Contact the DCAS Exams Bureau and CTACs
For exam-related customer service or to check the status of an exam or list you can:
- call (212) 669-1357
- log into your account online in the Online Application System (OASys)
- e-mail DCAS at: LMACustomerService@dcas.nyc.gov
Our testing centers are located in every borough, you can find a testing center near you. However, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, walk-ins are no longer accepted. Appointments must be scheduled online through OASys.